A Little Bit of History

 

Accrington has a long motorcycling history.  The origins of today’s Club can be traced back to the 1930’s and the Accrington and District Motorcycle Club an off-road club involved in motocross and trials riding.

 

 

As a road riding club the origins date back to the 1970’s when the name of Accrington MCC was adopted. It was at this time that the familiar Accrington MCC logo came into use. This image was originally drawn in black ink on a piece of white leather; the colours were then inverted to accommodate its use on black clothing.

The history of the Club has not been a totally smooth one. In 1996 the Club disbanded and after a two year hiatus reformed in 1998.

The Coghead logo that is in use today first came into use as a rally logo. Designed by Geoff Ashworth this was to replace the reefer knot design which had previously in use as it was felt that the drug connotations were no longer in keeping with the Club ethos.

It was in 2010 that the decision was taken to adopt the Coghead as the Club’s official logo whilst continuing to use the name Accrington MCC.

Due to irreconcilable differences within the Club a vote was taken in March 2011 to again disband the Club. 

There was a desire amongst a group of the now club-less bikers to retain a group identity and to continue to host the events for which the old club had become known.

In order to retain continuity and in the spirit of the disbandment the decision was taken (with the kind permission and assistance of Mr. Ashworth) to continue to use the Coghead as a club logo and to take our name from the design.  

                             Hence Cogheads MCC was born in late March 2011.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Cogheads MCC